In ten days, I'll be on my college campus getting ready to start the new school year. It's coming up really fast, and I'm starting to notice all the little things more than I have before. Because of that, I thought it might be nice if I made a list of all those little-but-still-big things that I'm going to miss once I leave home.
1. Driving in a car and hearing my mom laugh.
2. Weekly Sabbath lunches at my grandparent's house.
3. Meeting my friends for coffee at the Starbucks near my house.
4. Taking a shower without wearing shoes.
5. Taking naps on my grandparent's couch under one of the many blankets.
6. Watching West Wing while using the exercise bike.
7. My mom bursting into song (whether made up or one that she somehow remembers from her childhood) at any random moment.
8. Getting up early and drinking coffee in a quiet house.
9. Eating tomatoes that grew in my grandparent's garden.
10. Listening to my mom play her piano.
11. Seeing the colorful sunsets out of my big bedroom window.
12. Going into my mom's bedroom and sitting on her bed while she works.
Obviously, I'm not leaving these things forever. I'm still going to visit and spend a good amount of time with my family, but my life is about to change in a way that is irreversible, and that's kind of sad for me. But, as I've been reminding myself all the time, I'm about to find a bunch of new little things that I will one day miss. And that, my friends, is a very exciting thing to think about.