In August of last year, I bought a book called 14,000 Things to Be Happy About. I started reading this book every so often, and I still go to it on bad days. This book mixed with my own personal philosophy of finding things to be thankful for every day has led to this post. In January of 2018, I started thinking of one thing I was thankful for and then writing it in here. Obviously, there were some days where I found more things to be happy about, but I had to stick to my system, and here is the product of this project:
1. Friends who make you feel good about yourself
3. Eating Olive Garden pasta while watching Gilmore Girls on the couch
4. Staying up until 2:30 in the morning with your favorite people.
6. German lasagna
7. Happy people at Starbucks
8. The feeling once a meeting you were dreading comes to an end
9. Green shirts
12. Friends who make sure you're okay when you're stressed out
13. Sleeping in on Saturday mornings
14. River otters
15. Bagels and coffee with good friends.
16. Origami dragons
17. The line "What is life without a touch of poetry in it?" from Pirates of Penzance
18. Friends who give you grace
19. Classes being canceled
20. Homemade lunches after a long week.
21. Black sweaters with floral designs.
22. Listening to The Greatest Showman during Journalism
23. Remembering you packed a good lunch.
24. The people who make your bad day better.
25. The TV show White Collar
26. Staying up until 1:00 in the morning writing after a bad case of writer's block.
27. Randomly buying donuts on your way home.
28. Sunset walks before musical rehearsal.
29. Getting lots of work done before noon.
30. Being complimented on a shirt you weren't sure about.
31. Knowing you're in a better place than you used to be.
32. Quitting the job that you knew was bad for you.
33. Feeling capable.
34. Nature documentaries.
36. Sweet smelling sunshine air.
37. Seeing the people you love be happy.
38. Laughing during interviews for Journalism.
39. Helpful therapy sessions.
40. Talking to one of your best friends (who lives five and a half hours away) on the phone.
41. Sleeping in after a long week.
42. Getting coffee and flowers with your best friend.
43. Writing essays while listening to The 1975.
44. Editing articles in Journalism with everyone sitting around one table.
45. Basketball games.
46. Good teachers who listen to you and can offer advice about stuff unrelated to homework.
47. Writing website posts while sitting in the sun.
48. Getting all the cleaning done early in the day.
49. Brunch with your best friend's family.
50. Watching Last Week Tonight
51. Teaching twelve year olds who love to talk.
52. Jean jackets.
53. Walks in crisp, February air.
54. Subtle closure.
56. Being really productive all day.
57. Writing a lot of posts in advance.
58. Feeling confident in a meeting.
59. Giving your twelve year old self closure.
60. Going into the day with a positive attitude and having it be better than you'd expected.
61. Days off
62. Playing air hockey and losing, but losing happily
63. Learning dances during musical rehearsal
65. Seeing what your life could have been like if it had worked how you'd wanted it, but knowing that you're happier now.
67. Haystacks (the food)
68. Flights that have You've Got Mail
69. Seeing people you love for the first time in years
70. Drinking coffee while reading stories to your baby cousins
71. Being referred to as "poet"
72. Doing something that scares you
73. Seeing your mom after being away for a while
74. Being welcomed back
75. Being brave enough to share your story.
76. Singing softly in the car with two of your friends as they drop you off at home.
77. The first morning of Spring Break.
78. Pajama pants with lemons on them.
79. Getting lots of writing done in the morning as soon as you get up.
80. Having your hair in a french braid.
81. Getting up and going for a walk in the brisk morning air.
82. Dennys. (it's an inside joke)
83. Downtown Disney at night
84. Griffith Observatory
85. The feel of your own mattress
86. Getting back into a routine
87. Musical dress rehearsals
88. Dead Poets Society
89. Teachers who are there for you even when they have no reason to be.
90. Opening night of musicals.
91. Floral printed quilts.
92. Watching random netflix movies on a Monday afternoon.
93. Having random days off from school.
94. Talking about your favorite books with your favorite teachers.
95. Having friends who love and support you.
96. Balloons in small spaces
97. The feeling after the curtain closes after an amazing performance
98. Getting your room clean for the first time in a while
99. Finding a new TV show that you like
100. Being appreciated for your poetry by complete strangers
101. Peaches and cream yogurt from Trader Joe's.
102. Substitute teachers
103. When teachers give you extra copies of books they love.
104. Baby geese.
105. Talking to family you don't see very often over Skype.
106. Garlic hummus
107. Being told that your ideas have value.
108. Being given the gift of time.
109. Falling down on your bed after a long day.
110. Knowing that therapy is helping when you notice yourself becoming a stronger person.
111. Spinning in a green, medieval-looking dress.
112. Getting home at 1'AM
113. Finishing all the work you need to do before going to sleep.
114. Smelling the sweet, flower filled air while running through your neighborhood.
115. Listening to music while on a long bus ride.
116. The San Francisco Symphony
118. Pizza on the beach
119. Spending time alone after being with a lot of people for a long amount of time.
120. Getting surprise letters and gifts from your faraway friends in the mail.
121. Using your own bad experiences to help someone else.
122. Starting to move past awkwardness.
125. Good lasts.
126. The Imitation Game.
127. Eliminating anxieties over the next school year.
128. John Mulaney's comedy specials on Netflix.
129. Staying up late and talking to your mom.
130. Knowing that you can trust someone's opinion.
131. Working hard to make an event as beautiful as possible, and seeing it come together.
132. Having a break after three weeks of constantly going.
133. Mother's Day.
134. Trying on a dress and loving it right away.
136. Finishing all the work for a class.
137. Being done with math for the school year two weeks early.
138. Letting yourself do nothing for an afternoon.
139. Getting the chance to express how thankful you are for something.
140. Taking funny selfies with your favorite people.
141. Really good pickles.
142. Being told you were your favorite teacher's favorite student.
143. Good conversations in the sunshine.
144. Getting the chance to have a real break.
145. Face timing with your best friend.
146. Being invited to things, even when you can't go.
147. Meeting someone who recognizes your name from something you've written.
148. Going for a run and smelling the sweet, summer morning air.
149. Funny typos.
150. The wash of relief when everything you were stressing about is finally done and over.
151. Seeing family you haven't seen for over five years.
152. When an entire room of people is connected through one thing.
153. Seeing your friends commit to something they believe in.
154. Your own high school graduation.
155. Breakfast quesadillas.
156. Buying plants and candles and putting them in a freshly cleaned room.
157. Having super short hair for the first time in years.
158. Driving home in comfortable conversation.
159. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
160. Watching a director direct.
161. New music.
163. Summer morning runs.
164. Lentil tahini wraps from Trader Joe's.
165. T-shirts with your University's name on it.
166. Evening conversations with your family.
167. Old treasures.
168. Lavender Lattes
169. Organizing props and costumes.
170. Writing out a memory in the form of a story.
171. Bossypants by Tina Fey.
172. Making new friends.
173. Baby mourning doves.
174. Riding a stationary bike while watching The West Wing.
176. Swimming with goggles in a pool with lanes.
177. Tech people.
178. Drawing on sharpie tattoos.
180. Making plans that make you excited for something you were initially nervous about.
181. Creating your resume.
182. Doing something scary that you know will pay off in the long run.
184. Arrow stickers.
186. The song Ooh Child
187. Curling your short hair.
189. The Newsroom
190. Saving money.
191. Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.
192. Salt water pools.
193. Colorful waffles.
194. Sports Night
195. Jean skirts.
196. Candles that smell like moss and thyme.
197. Knowing where a costume piece is and being able to help.
198. Last days.
201. The Music Man
202. Breathing in evening Summer air
203. Leaving for a brand new country.
204. Showering after being on a plane for a long time.
205. Climbing the Eiffel tower.
206. Calming walks through art galleries.
207. Train rides.
208. Marseille, France.
209. Markets in the south of France.
210. Finally feeling prepared for a new life chapter.
211. Fruit gummies in airports
212. Arriving back home after over 24 hours of traveling.
213. Helping a friend pack for college while catching up on everything you've missed.
214. Tofu wraps.
215. Getting up early and drinking coffee outside
216. Blueberry dessert.
217. Mary Oliver's poetry
218. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
219. Having a super productive day
220. Face masks in the morning
221. National Book Lover's Day
222. Reading before bed.
223. Writing fiction
224. The Weepies
225. End of Summer BBQs with people that you love.
226. Buying new fiction books.
227. Spontaneously meeting a friend for coffee.
228. Writing in a new journal.
229. Passing tests that you've studied hundreds of hours for.
230. Colored pencils.
231. Non-denominational churches.
232. California Pizza Kitchen.
233. Being welcomed back to your high school campus.
234. Writing while watching murder mysteries.
235. Really good instant coffee.
236. Talking to people after spending a few days alone.
237. Ordering stuff for college that makes you feel like an adult.
238. Doing laundry
239. Reading for hours just to finish the story.
240. Getting some of the stuff for college
242. Waking up earlier than usual and getting more done in the day.
243. Reading outside while your dog runs around.
244. Hiking near waterfalls.
245. Asiago bagels with jalapeño salsa.
246. FaceTiming friends about your qualms.
247. Using a new body wash.
248. Sweaters with lace.
249. Solving qualms.
251. Chocolate milkshakes
252. Starting the process of packing for college.
253. Soul Pancake retweeting something of yours.
255. Receiving a job offer.
256. Eating at The Spaghetti Factory.
257. Road trips with your mom.
258. Watching Gilmore Girls with your mom.
259. The beginning of a new chapter.
260. Being able to call your mom after having a bad day.
261. Feeling ready for college after having a couple of bad days.
262. FaceTiming your faraway friends.
263. Reading poetry at the open mic in a small (but very full) coffee shop.
264. Seeing a kind, familiar face when you really need one.
265. Spending the first day of Fall in a coffee shop with a cup of chai.
266. Meeting people who are passionate about the things that you’re passionate about.
267. Starting an acting class.
268. Getting laundry done after it’s been too long (far too long)
269. Being given advice from a credible source.
270. Doing something that’s scary but that you know is good for yourself.
271. Being given what you need exactly when you needed it.
272. Going inside and putting on a warm sweatshirt when it’s cold outside.
273. Doing homework in a coffee shop.
274. The first morning of October.
275. Waking up to the rain.
276. The song So Will I.
277. Feeling like you have something to contribute to a conversation.
278. Taking the long way home because it’s peaceful to walk in cool air after it’s rained.
279. Swing dancing.
280. Studying for hours in a coffee shop.
281. Spending lots of time in the quiet corners of a library.
282. Expanding your family on your own terms.
283. Finding friends in acting class.
284. Granola bars and coffee for breakfast (not super filling, but very delicious).
285. Analyzing literature with a whiteboard in the library.
286. Halloween parties.
287. Spending an entire day preparing for the next week.
288. Laughing a lot during acting class.
289. Spicy chai.
290. Being told to set up a scene and then doing it correctly.
291. FaceTiming for math help.
292. Calling a faraway best friend to wish her a happy birthday.
293. Writing a letter to digest your thoughts on a situation.
294. Spending all day in the library getting work done.
295. Having an interview for something exciting
296. Going to an evening vespers and getting exactly what you needed.
297. Receiving good feedback after a scene performance.
298. Having a meeting go better than you thought it would.
299. Seeing your mom for the first time in over a month.
301. Not having to work on a Sunday for the first time in over a month.
302. My 19th Birthday.
303. Having people who don’t know you personally rush to your defense.
304. Breaking in the neighborhood with an early morning run.
305. Making a new friend and talking for hours on a random Thursday night.
306. Vegan pizza for dinner.
307. Talking to someone for four hours straight.
308. Getting to wear a headset while helping backstage with the play at the last minute.
309. Listening to Pride & Prejudice while at work.
310. Crème Brûlée after a scene rehearsal.
311. Walking around the library at night.
312. Having a feeling that it will be a really good month.
313. Being especially thankful for Friday.
314. Eating vegetables and watching Friends.
315. Working backstage and sitting with new friends during breaks.
316. Performing a scene that took lots of emotional energy.
317. Waking up early to get some extra work done.
318. Being assigned a new scene for acting class.
319. Staying up late studying for exams but feeling better once you’re done.
320. Flying home for Thanksgiving Break.
321. Seeing Grandparents for the first time in two months.
322. Sleeping in on a day you’d normally be working.
323. Finally figuring out what you want your major to be.
324. Becoming by Michelle Obama
326. Watching A Muppets Christmas Carol
327. Burning candles (when you’ve gone weeks of being unable to).
328. Sabbath naps.
329. Decorating your dorm room for Christmas (!!!)
330. Friends who sympathize with weird problems.
331. Drinking coffee out of a new mug.
332. Affirmation from people you admire.
333. Going to sleep with freshly cleaned sheets.
334. Seeing Arsenic and Old Lace as a play.
335. Getting into a writing flow.
336. Random days off from work.
337. Feeling like people understand what you want to do with your life and why.
338. Changing your major and finally feeling excited about what you’ll be studying.
339. Playing improv games to avoid saying goodbye.
340. Shakespeare being the last poet you read as an English major.
341. Christmas concerts.
342. Walking through falling snow.
243. Random answers to prayer.
244. Rehearsing for a random play.
345. Having an extra day to study for finals.
346. Talking to new people who you can tell will be important to you.
347. Hours of sarcastic, flirty banter.
348. Catching up with people you love.
350. Seeing high school friends for the first time since graduation.
351. Long, in-person talks with your mom
352. Revisiting songs you wrote at 15.
353. Candles with wooden wicks.
354. Fredrik Backman novels.
356. Falling asleep with a dog at your feet.
357. Reading a murder mystery.
358. Christmas episodes of Friends.
359. Dinosaur pajamas.
360. Homemade enchiladas.
361. Continuing old traditions.
362. Getting headshots taken.
363. Gingerbread chapstick.
364. Creating new recipes.
365. Drive-in movies with good friends.